Well, here I am writing my first blog post. I’ve thought about it for a while, and finally decided to go for it! I get so many great ideas from the blogs I read that I wanted to share the ideas and advice that are slowly making my life green! So, appropriately, I thought I’d start with one of my favorite parts of the day – my green smoothie for breakfast.
I’ve been having a green smoothie for breakfast for about 6 months now, and I can’t believe how much I love it! On days when I have something else, I just don’t feel as energetic and healthy as I do with my smoothie. It’s such a great way to incorporate superfoods into your diet! As someone who didn’t grow up eating a lot of fresh fruits and vegetables, this smoothie was the gateway into incorporating more whole foods into my diet. I don’t follow a strict recipe, and I’ve very “measuring-adverse” so everything is an estimate, but my basic formula is:
Green Breakfast Smoothie:
- 1 banana (fresh or frozen, but frozen adds to the creaminess of the smoothie)
- 3/4 cup organic milk (I use skim)
- 2 heaping cups organic kale (or spinach, or other green – kale is my favorite)
- 2 tablespoons organic ground flax seed
- 1 tablespoon organic chia seeds
- 1 cup frozen fruit (strawberries, blueberries, or your fav!)
- 1/4 cup organic, plain Greek yogurt
Blend until smooth. I sometimes add some ice cubes as well to solidify the smoothie more – it’s especially important if you use a fresh instead of a frozen banana.
Enjoy! 🙂 I hope this helps you incorporate some more organic, whole foods into your life!