So I found out today that I have been nominated for ‘The Liebster Award’ by a wonderful blogger My Year of Sweat. To me, it seems like a great way to put some personal information about yourself out there, and network with other bloggers. So here we go…! 🙂
The Liebster Award …
This award is given to up-and-coming bloggers, with less than 200 followers, who are worthy of a look. Fellow bloggers nominate other bloggers for The Liebster Award and essentially help promote those blogs to a broader audience.
The rules are as follows: When receiving the award, recipients must:
– post 11 facts about yourself and answer the 11 questions posed by the person who nominated you
– pass the award onto 11 other bloggers and ask them 11 questions of your own
– select blogs with 200 or less followers (but not the blogger who nominated you)
Eleven facts to know about me:
1. I am a neat-freak. I’ve used the phrase “I’m the opposite of a hoarder” before and was so charmed to see my nominator (My Year of Sweat) use it too! I seriously take about 2-3 bags of donated clothes, books, purses, etc to The Salvation Army every 6 months or so. I don’t know where it all comes from.
2. I have a book collection that requires its own room. I can’t get into the e-books trend, I like the smell of a real book, and being able to fold down pages to mark favorite passages. Staring at a screen just doesn’t do it for me – and I probably shouldn’t spend more time staring at a screen than I already do.
3. I am in a pretty serious relationship…with myself. Sometime in the past six months, I decided I needed to be responsible for my own health and happiness and not look to find that in someone else. A quote on pinterest put it best “to be me-sponsible: the act of being responsible to me, for the benefit of my health, happiness, and well being.” I can no longer let one person be the reason for my happiness (or the reason not to be happy).
4. I have two cats – they were sisters that I adopted from the shelter when they were 4 months old. I believe whole-heartedly in rescuing animals from shelters – and that pets are not “returnable.” It breaks my heart to see friends/acquaintances returning animals to shelters. They are members of the family – and a lifetime commitment – period.
5. I resent being referred to as a “cat lady” at the age of 25.
6. I currently work as an accountant in the mind-numbing world of government accounting. It wasn’t until later in life (around 23/24) that I discovered that my true passion is for cooking and nutrition – and now I wish I could go back to school to do that with my life instead. I don’t want to spend my life working (well barely working – it is the government) from 9-5 at a job I hate.
7. Related to the above – I’m currently researching and trying to get up the courage to go to graduate school to become a Registered Dietician (RD). I have a long road of prerequisites ahead of me before I can even apply. It’s a daunting prospect.
8. I am an avid foodie (or whole foodie – as I like to put it!) but I can’t bring myself to eat mushrooms. I know, I know, they’re delicious (as everyone tells me) but I just can’t do it. I’ll try anything once, as long as it’s not a mushroom.
9. My mother is my best friend, my rock and my inspiration. She taught me how to be a strong, independent woman and I’ll be proud to turn out to be a tenth of the woman she is.
10. I’m terribly clumsy. Like “can’t walk on a flat surface in flat shoes without getting hurt”-clumsy. I have a constant rotating selection of mystery bruises and scrapes. I just accept it.
11. I watch too much TV. My DVR is constantly recording something – from cooking shows, to dramas and comedies. I’m proud to say I’ve stopped watching most reality TV, and that my time is taken up by more “quality” programming like Game of Thrones, Sons of Anarchy, Girls, Modern Family, and The Walking Dead. Those are just a few of my absolute favorites.
Eleven questions my nominator has asked me to answer:
1. What are three of the items on your bucket list?
I actually wrote a bucket list back in high school, forgot about it, and recently unearthed it in a box of journals. Three of the things on it (that I haven’t accomplished – I’m proud to say that are many that I have) are to go scuba diving in Bora Bora (I’m a certified diver), to one day work for myself, and to visit where my ancestors are from in Ireland.
2. What are you afraid of?
This is a great question! I don’t have many things I’d actually call fears. I’m not a big fan of spiders or hornets/wasps/bees, but I don’t think of that as severe enough to be a fear. I suppose I’ll have to say that I have a fear of ending up alone, but at the same time I’m so used to being alone – and I enjoy it so much that I think this fear may be going away 🙂
3. How do you like to blow off steam when you are stressed out?
I love dinner and drinks with a good friend. There is nothing an evening of cocktails and deep conversation can’t work out.
4. If you had a chance to spend an evening with any celebrity, dead or alive, who would it be and why?
It’s not who you’d think of as a celebrity – but I would spend the evening with Leonardo Di Vinci. He has always fascinated me with his range of talents. He designed things like tanks and flying machines before the technology to make them even existed – and I would love to show him all we have achieved that he once dreamt about.
5. Where is your favorite place to travel? Why?
I love to travel anywhere that is sunny and warm – any beach is ideal.
6. What is your occupation? How did you pick it?
I currently work as a government accountant. I chose my major (accounting) and therefore my subsequent job based on what was hiring at the time – as I graduated college in 2009 when the economy was absolutely terrible. Looking back, I wish I had picked passion over money – but I can’t look a gift horse in the mouth – I am happy for all the personal and professional success I’ve had in my life.
7. Why did you start your blog?
I started a blog about health and nutrition because my friends would ask me about the little tips and tricks I use in my own life – and I thought there might be others out there who would benefit from them too. I’ve learned so much from other bloggers – that I wanted to reciprocate. I also thought it would be a good way to move further into the nutrition world – and decide if that’s what I want to do professionally in the future.
8. What book, fiction or non-fiction, have you read that has changed your life for the positive?
This question should be hard for a book-lover – and there are many books that have changed my life. But my #1, 100% immediate answer is, and always will be, The Alchemist by Paulo Coehlo. It’s a story about love, destiny, truth, and spirituality that will change the way you view yourself. I cannot read it enough. It’s given such inspiration quotes as these: (and trust me there are about a million more)
“When we love, we always strive to become better than we are. When we strive to become better than we are, everything around us becomes better too.”
“And, when you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.”
“Everything that happens once can never happen again. But everything that happens twice will surely happen a third time.”
9. What inspires you?
Pinterest posts! I am continually inspired at the creativity in food, drinks, decorating, and crafting that comes out of that website.
10. Mountains or ocean? Why?
The ocean. I have always lived near the ocean (although my current location in Washington DC puts me a little further than I’d like to be) and it’s the one place that I truly feel at peace with my own soul.
11. Who or what do you love the most?
My family, in particular my mother. Time spent with family is the most precious thing in the world.
11 Questions to my nominated bloggers for the Liebster Award:
1. If you could learn one skill that you’ve never had, what would it be, and why?
2. If you had to eat one food for the rest of your life – what food would you pick?
3. If you could invite any three people (alive or dead) to a dinner party – who would you invite?
4. Name one place you’ve always dreamed of traveling to – and explain why.
5. Do you have a bucket list? What have you been able to accomplish on your list?
6. What is one of your guilty pleasures?
7. What book or movie has inspired you or changed your life?
8. What period in time do you feel the most connected to?
9. When and why did you start your blog?
10. Do you share your blog with people you know in real-life?
11. What inspires you?
And my 11 nominees for the Liebster Award are (please give them a visit!):
1. Down the Rabbit Hole
2. Well Being Nut (UK)
3. The Broccoli Blog
4. Health Foody
5. We Three Locals
6. My Santa Monica Life
7. Above the Arctic Circle: Life As I Know It
8. Earth Mermaid
9. Journey to Minimalism
10. The Kitchen Sink
11. My Digital Kitchen