Well today I want to share with you one of my favorite, quick and easy, go-to dinners!
I always keep canned salmon in the house just for this purpose. First of all, it can be hard to find Wild-caught Alaskan salmon in the fresh seafood department – and when you do find it, it can be really pricey. Most of the time what you see is Atlantic Salmon, which is all farmed and significantly lower in nutrients (and usually dosed in antibiotics). However, most canned salmon (and it will specify right on the label) is wild-caught Alaskan salmon. I was so excited when I found this out! And I was even more excited when I finally perfected my recipe for these salmon cakes – they really are a perfect quick and easy dinner!
Sidebar: I’ve seen recipes like this that call these Salmon Burgers, and you can do that if you like but to me – if it has breadcrumbs in it, it’s a cake, not a burger. Sidebar over.
Lemon-y Salmon Cakes
Makes four cakes.
– 2, 5 ounce cans of salmon, drained
– 2 eggs
– 1 tablespoon grated or finely chopped onion (or 2 teaspoons granulated onion)
– 1 tablespoon lemon juice + 1 teaspoon lemon zest
– 1 clove garlic, grated or finely chopped (or 1 teaspoon granulated garlic)
– 1/4 cup fresh dill or parsley, chopped (or in a pinch use a few teaspoons of dried dill)
– a pinch of red pepper flakes
– 1/4 – 1/2 cup breadcrumbs (start with 1/4 and add until the cakes come together, it seems like I need a different amount of breadcrumbs every time)
Mix all ingredients together, adding the breadcrumbs at the end. Start with 1/4 cup of breadcrumbs and continue adding until the mixture comes together. Form the mixture into four cakes. The cakes are relatively delicate – so just form them the best that you can. Heat a few tablespoons of oil (I use olive) in a skillet over medium-high heat and cook 3-4 minutes per side, or until golden brown.
Serve the cakes on buns, by themselves, or on top of a salad – all three options are delicious! I also like to mix a little lemon juice into some mayo and serve that on top. These salmon cakes plus a quick vegetable side or salad make for a quick and nutritious dinner!